
I made plans to go see The Hangover with my sister on Saturday (after our cousin Olivia's graduation party, of course.) When I go see The Hangover it will be the first movie I've seen in the theater since Star Trek, which I saw three freakin' times.
The first time, we went on opening night with a HUGE group of people. I was just beginning to get my strep throat (I didn't realize that's what it was at that point) The group included myself and Jim, my sister Cori and her fiance Derek, our friends Ryan, Stevie, Doty, Liz and Stefan. We took up an entire row in the theater and each and every one of us enjoyed it immensely.
I really only had a passing interest in the movie until I saw the trailer for it before...oh, man, now I can't remember the movie I saw the trailer in front of...dang, anyways, the trailer really got me, because it, quite frankly, looked badass. It was the trailer that began with young Kirk joyriding in his Dad's car and he sends it flying over the cliff, and you're watching this trailer, not really sure what it's for, until the kid is confronted by the funturistic police office and he says, "My name is James Tiberus Kirk!" Heh, we all went a little giddy at that point, but I digress...
The second time I saw it, I saw it with Cori again, and this time, Kristi! Yeah! I really loved seeing it with Kristi because it was so fun to watch a fan of the original Star Trek TV show, (I was more of a Next Generation-er, I've only seen a handful of the Originals episodes when I lived at home with my Mom and she would get giddy when they would replay them on the Sci-Fi channel, Mom loves to remember TV of yesteryear, I've busted occasionally watching Lawrence Welk on PBS on bored Saturday afternoons) Kristi knew and understood every sly, subtle little nod to the original show that I may have otherwised missed, and I will never forget her slamming her hand to her chest and her mouth falling open when Kirk meets Old Spock in the cave and he asks him who he is and he says, "I am and shall always be your friend." "*gasp* He said that at the end of Star Trek two!" she said. It was so funny and cute.
The third time, I went with Jim, again, and this time we took Quinn, my delightful step-son. I was really excited for Quinn to see it because he's eight, and has absolutely no point of reference for Star Trek, and I wanted to see how he liked it. First of all, he's a Star Wars FANATIC! That kid could tell you who ever single unimportant and Porkins-esque character is, and how they died or which side they fought for and on and on and on. Quinn's also and excellent movie-goer. He sits quietly and doesn't get up to go to the bathroom, so he really soaks it all in, and he liked it! He liked Scotty the best, of course. Kids love the wisecracker. But, going to see it with Quinn, the best part of it was when Capt. Pike is leaving the ship with Kirk and Sulu to fight the Romulons, he tells Spock, "Take good care of the ship, Spock. She's new." and Spock cocks his eyebrow, Quinn's head came turning towards me, eyebrow cocked. It's his favorite new move that he recently mastered, we would practice our eyebrow cock on the way home from school most days, and now ever since the movie, he doesn't stop. It's freakin' hilarious.
So, while I do want to go see The Hangover, because it looks hysterical, I'm also a little sad to be putting my Trek theater experience behind me. Oh, well....I said it before and I'll say it again, perhaps one last trip to the theater is in my future, just to see it on the big screen one more time.
I did not expect that line! It made me tear up! I cry every single time I rewatch that scene in Star Trek: II!! And it made me start to cry all over again when he said it to Young Kirk! Ah!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, I will TOTALLY GO SEE IT WITH YOU AGAIN! We should do it! I need to see it a third time!
Nahh, see it again. The more money they make on it, the longer we get to see the QuintoSpock. I plan on going a 5th [!!] [yes, god help me!] time, with a third friend. I'm spreading the magic. And for many people, it's their first intro to ST ever.
ReplyDeleteImagine that, discovering that magic for the first time. I remember as a child going out into the back yard, craning my neck to look up at the stars, walking around dreamily, humming the theme that played under Kirk's Captain's Log at the beginning of each episode.
Abrams' movie doesn't proceed at that dignified pace; it's more like breakneck speed, but thanks to his direction and the award-worthy cast, it is so totally watchable [thank God!] even non-Trek fans can dig it.