Monday, June 29, 2009

Geeky Dreamboats


First of all, my subject line is taken from the new book available at Urban Outfitters. It's a collection of well, Geeky Dreamboats. Look it up.

At my work, a medical clinic, we get all kinds of wonderfully trashy magazines. People, Us Weekly, Ok, Life and Style, you name them we get them. We save the juicier ones for us, they find their way back to the breakroom, and it becomes our lunchtime chatter. How it goes, usually, one of us will be flipping through the magazine, and the rest of us will sit around her, acting uninterested until an ugly dress or a cute boy catches our eyes. Then it can turn into two or three of us looking at the same magazine at the same time, making little comments along the way.

Recently, we got the People Magazine with the 100 Hottest Bachelors, or whatever it was called. I first got my hands on it, and flipped through it furiously, looking for a pic of ZQ, of course. There was one, tucked away among the "Best Dressed Bachelors" and it was a red carpet pic of him in some oddball suit with a green tie (like Kristi said yesterday, she could start a whole blog on his fashion sense...) I was happy that he was included, but a little dissapointed he wasn't included in a bigger way. Chris Pine got a whole page!! (He's pretty cute though, too.) And icky Rob Pattinson! I do not see the attraction with that guy....Anyways, I spotted ZQ, and then left the magazine on the table and went back to work. Later that afternoon, I was back in the breakroom with a couple of gals (it should be noted that I work with nothing but females, save for a few of the docs, and one male nurse...) and we were having a group People Magazine session. The girls were "ooo-ing" and "ahhh-ing" over this guy and that, until we got to the picture of ZQ. "Him!" I said, slamming my finger on the picture, "Now he's hot." My friends Valerie, who was sitting next to me, crinkled her eyes a little and reluctantly nodded, "Don't you think he's hot?" I asked the other girls. I got a few slight nods, and "Yea...maybes" "He's no Channing Tatum!" Someone said. Ugh! Was all I could think on the inside! How boring are guys like that?! I just responded, "I like my guys a little quirky." Again, more nods, and then we moved on to the next page.

Honestly, how could you think someone like Channing Tatum is hotter than ZQ?! (If you don't know who he is, Google Image search him, I ain't posting a pic of him on here.) Nothing against him, or Rob Pattinson, of Chace Crawford, or any of the other guys in the magazine, but in my mind, none of the could hold a torch to ZQ! And do you want to know why? Because Zachary Quinto is interesting. He's interesting looking. He's not your typical cookie-cutter "hot guy." I've always had a thing for tall men, first of all (my husband is only 5'10, but then again, I'm 5'4, so it works for us) and dark features. Dark hair, dark eyes, dark EYEBROWS...nom...nom....

And not only is he interesting looking, he chooses interesting roles. Could you really see some douchebag actor who thought he was all sexy and hot having the guts to make a Star Trek movie? You have to let go a certain level of vanity to have a bowl cut, shave half your brows off, and wear pointy ears on a giant screen for a zillion people to see. And as for Sylar...well, there is this great movie called "Living in Oblivion" lampoons independent films, and there is a character in the movie that plays a sexy, young actor. He is listing all the roles he's going to be playing (or has played? I don't quite remember) and one of them is "a sexy serial killer..." which, in its context, was really, really funny, that is a typical role for a sexy, young actor. Because no one wants to really see a real Ed Gein-type serial killer in a movie. Sylar is a sexy serial killer, heh. But, he's also kind of a social misfit. And ZQ plays him so well where there are moments on the show were he is utterly unappealing. For example, the scene in season three that I dubbed "The Wacky Home Invasion," where he takes a mom and her teenage son hostage in their own home and tortures them and a agent he kidnapped...it's pretty grusome and creepy.

Anyway, in conclusion, as you probably already know, Zachary Quinto is the hottest man in Hollywood, and a Geeky Dreamboat.

3 comments:

  1. Channing Tatum, Chace Crawford, Robert Pattinson. Two words: Cookie Cutter. They are expected. Their looks are pleasant, but vanilla - unoriginal. Typical. BORING. Also, they are pigeonholed in to playing pretty boys - and they choose to play pretty boys. But pretty isn't sexy - it isn't HOT. And ZQ is HOT. He's a-typical, he's striking, and he's interesting - that's what makes him good-looking. Oh, I'm going to have to tell you about the conversation I had today with a straight co-worker of mine about the hotness of ZQ. Even guys can see it. You put ZQ and Channing Tatum by each other - I could pretty much gauruntee most guys would say ZQ was better looking. Unless theyw ere tryign to impress a girl- then they'd probably pick Tatum because that's what they'd think she'd choose. I'm just rambling now. I could go on. *sigh* I need a life - yet I don't want it if it means I can't spend my time obsessing about things like ZQ and his inherent hotness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - I love that picture. so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that not that many "typical" people find ZQ super-attractive is, in part, why I'm attracted to him. He's a little unusual, as you say, not cookie-cutter cute. I used to get the same reaction from typical women about Nimoy!

    Both have that long, lean, muscled look, those incredible dark eyes, brows, and hair, and "interesting" noses. Both have beautiful hands and the chest hair necessary to pique my interest! And, most important, both are extremely good, intelligent actors.

    ReplyDelete